Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas*Countdown {18 days}

Gingerbread Men are probably the cutest cookie to decorate. You can make any shape you want and decorate with all sorts of colours and candies. We were boring this year. I really just liked the brown cookie with the white icing (and more importantly that was Jason's request, he cares about random things like that.)



This recipe (as seen in the photo) was given to me last Christmas and was printed on a Christmas card. How neat!





Here's the recipe:


1 cup butter

1 cup sugar (I've seen them made with both white or brown...I used white)

2 eggs

1 cup molasses

1/3 cup hot water

6 cups flour

pinch of salt

1 tbsp baking soda

1 tbsp ginger


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Cream together butter and sugar.

Add eggs, molasses, and hot water. Mix well.


In a separate large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda and ginger. Add to wet ingredients in increments. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/4" thickness. I did this in steps I grabbed a chunk of dough, rolled it out, cut out the cookies and then grabbed another chunck. Use more flour to get rid of some of the stickiness. Cut into shapes and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.


Bake for 9 minutes or until lightly browned. (In my oven 8 minutes was perfection.)


When 100% cooled, decorate with icing and candies if you wish.


My icing recipe was 1 cup of icing sugar, whipping cream until desired thickness. You can add food colouring if you want.


These are really fun cookies to decorate with your kids or nephews and neices. Our son is too young but he did enjoy eating them:)


tamara

xoxo

1 comment:

Sarah Frills4Thrills said...

I love decorating cookies! This is such a fun idea--looks beautiful and tastes good, I'm sure!
Check out my new series over at frills4thrills.blogspot.com!
-Sarah