Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Momma Fit

For those of you who don't know, I'm a certified fitness instructor. Healthy living is a passion of mine. I'm not perfect at it all the time but I try.

Long before we were even thinking of starting a family, I started to get myself in really great shape. I wanted to have the healthiest pregnancy. So what started as a desire for pregnancy is now my life.

I notice all the time that once women have children, they kinda forget who they are. The focus is on the children (which is a good thing). But there has to be : BALANCE. That's my word of the year. Balancing: kids, husbands, food, laundry, cleaning, finances, friends, family, church, school..etc.

People ask me all the time, "where do you have the time to work out?" Simple, I make time. Now sometimes it means that I have to stay up later than I would like because I'm at the gym. Or sacrificing an hour with my son or husband in order to work out. Think about it this way, if you make the goal to go to the gym or do somesort of workout 3x a week for 1 hour. That's only 3 hours out of your whole week!

Here are some tips on making that time possible for you:

Include your kids in your workout. Most children thinks its so much fun to see mom work out. Cohen's favourite is burpees. He giggles and giggles. There are so many exercises out there that include your baby in some way. It can be a great time for you and your kids. You are being an example to your kids that exercise is important.
Put your kids in the stroller or have them run with you or ride their bikes along side you. Again this can be a great way to bond with your kids.

If you expecting, exercise is hugely important. Research shows that expectant mothers who exercise regularly througout their pregnancy have smaller weight babies which can reduce their risk of obesity later in life.
Make sure one of your workouts a week is without your kids. Its important for moms to take that time for themselves. You will feel happier and have a boost of energy. And moms everywhere know how important energy!
Exercise isn't the only thing necessary to be a healthy mamma! Nutrition is usually 50% of it too!
That's another post:)
Most communities have mom and baby programs. Research some in your area. Its a great way to meet other moms in your neighbourhood, interact with your baby, and do something great for yourself.
If you have any questions or want some specific exercises, let me know:)

1 comment:

Holly said...

I need some mega motivation in the fitness department... seems impossible with 2 kids. (it's just not top priority I guess)